Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Faculty of Life Sciences - Personality development


Question: Is it possible to conduct my PhD research at your department?

Answer: This depends on 2 factors:

  • Funding
    At present, PhD positions can only be financed by research grants or individual stipends. Positions created by research grants are announced via academic job websites. Stipends are awarded by the Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes (German National Merit Foundation) or political foundations (e.g. Ebertstiftung) but require very high academic achievements. The Max Planck LIFE Research School awards several PhD stipends each year. Because I am a member of the LIFE faculty, I could serve as supervisor in case of a successful application. Foreign PhD students can also try to apply for a DAAD stipend. Of course, I am willing anybody who wishes to apply for a stipend.
  • Thematic fit
    A PhD student should not only show good academic achievements (as stated above, these are required for a stipend) but also demonstrate a good thematic fit to the Junior Professorship for Personality Development. On our homepage you can find a short description of the subject matter of personality development as well as our research. You can also inform yourself about my research interests by consulting my publication list ( Prof. Dr. Jaap Denissen). In any case, the thematic focus of a PhD thesis at my department should be on the development and explanation of individual differences in social and emotional behavior.

I look forward to hearing from you in case you are able to fulfill the requirements listed above!